Thursday, March 19, 2020



I was once a department head in a production center with twelve people reporting to me. At a meeting of department heads we were informed that there would be a 10% downsizing across all department within this current budget year. The criteria in each department would be that last three performance reviews. The employees with the worst reviews would be downsized. At the meeting, I was the only one who asked how the company was going to help the employees downsized. Human Resources did have a response. Downsized employees would get severance pay based on their longevity, six months of health care and outplacement help. After the meeting, rumors spread throughout the company like wildfire. Other department heads refused to talk about it with their employees.  I immediately decided to hold a department meeting and truthfully clarify what was going to happen with my employees. I openly revealed everything I knew about the downsizing at the meeting. When people asked, I told them I could not promise that they would retain or lose their job, that was to be decided by upper management and the performance review criteria. I revealed the help, as per Human Resources, that the downsized employees would get. I also said that I would personally do my best to help the affected employees get re-employed.

No comments: